I personally know people that think that its acceptable to call the language spoken in Mexico an inferior form of Spanish. They believe that Mexicans should stay in Mexico and if they make the mistake of coming to the U.S. to work and improve their life they must learn English. They believe that Mexicans should solve all the problems in their own country before they immigrate here. All of this is said with an implied superior attitude.
I think that all American school children should be required to learn at least rudimentary Spanish just so that they don’t make stupid racist comments when they grow up. A person who doesn’t speak Spanish is just too ignorant to insult it. My father grew up speaking only German when he entered Kindergarten in Theresa, WI during a time in history when Germany was having social and political problems. He was also subjected to prejudice and even physical abuse in the public school system. He learned English in spite of this prejudiced stupidity based on fear and ignorance.
I am sure that Jesus speaks Spanish among other languages. Maybe we should try to follow his example.
- Mexican teachers trying to learn English to help students returning from U.S. to Mexico (pri.org)
- English, or Spanish? Expat Gringos in Panama (thepanamaadventure.com)
- Effective Steps to Help You Practice Speaking Spanish (homework.answers.com)
- Pass High School Spanish: Ways to Study Spanish (homework.answers.com)
- PropertyOwner.us.org Prepares To Offer Spanish Language Customer Service (prweb.com)
- Hispanic conservatives praise Rubio’s Spanish-language SOTU response (twitchy.com)