Preexisting conditions cost a lot of money to treat and insurance companies will be more profitable if people with these conditions can be excluded from getting health insurance. After all why should healthy people pay for the treatment of people with preexisting conditions? Wouldn’t it be less expensive if we just let them exhaust all their own personal resources and then die because that will finally solve the problem? Didn’t they really cause their own sickness with their unhealthy lifestyle choices so it’s their own fault anyways?
You can always count on some Republicans for their overwhelming compassion and to help their big donors like the insurance companies. I know medical treatments cost money and that someone needs to pay that cost but anyone can get an illness that will devastate their personal finances. Guess what, sometimes it is necessary for an insurance company to pay the big bills because that is why everyone pays them a premium. No insurance system will be perfect but even people who have been blessed by God with good health are not immune to a sudden illness that can wipe out their personal finances unless they have insurance. What is a fair solution to this expensive problem?
Most modern first world countries have national health insurance run by the government and that is one solution to the problem that seems to work well for smaller countries. Unfortunately, the government of the United States is large, bloated, unwieldy and it stinks. Obamacare is a prime example. I think that private enterprise insurance companies are still the best choice for the United States but they need to have regulations that force them to be fair to everyone. The national government needs to regulate insurance companies because this issue crosses state lines.
I think that the following insurance ideas should be made into law.
- Anyone should be able to purchase critical health insurance at a price they can afford including people with preexisting conditions. Poor people will require a net subsidy in some cases so rich people will need to subsidize them indirectly through taxes. The alternative would be to let some poor people die and I find that concept unacceptable to me as a Christian.
- Mental health, Vision and Dental care must be included in all basic health plans. People can’t work without these necessities.
- Veterans should have their health care paid for life by the people of the United States. Veterans have made a sufficient contribution to our society to deserve this service.
- Luxury health care items such as noncritical plastic surgery, fat reduction and acupuncture should not be part of the standard health care insurance program but they could still be purchased on a pay basis.
- All federal employees including the Congress of the United States and President shall have the same health plan as the people of the United States.
- Everyone should have the same limits on the total cost of the critical health care they receive but no one should be allowed to suffer and die if it can be prevented. That includes Republicans, Democrats and people like me that think all political parties are full of crap.
- You don’t have to purchase any health insurance you don’t want and you can choose the basic plan you want from any private company.
- Anyone who works full time shall be provided with an option for a basic health insurance plan by their employer. People who can’t work due to disability or can only find part time employment shall be provided a subsidy for basic health insurance on a sliding scale.
- Insurance companies can’t charge extra for preexisting conditions.
- Health insurance regulations shall not force providers or consumers to do anything against their religion.
These ten conceptual regulations combined with free enterprise competition will work to keep prices in check and improve quality of care for everyone. Let me know what you think and leave a comment for everyone to contemplate.